Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sample Post

Age Group: Young Adult
Received From: Kindle Store
IBSN: 9781595141712)
Blurb:
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

My Thoughts:

I had read all the rave reviews of this book. That's why I bought it. So maybe my exceptions were too high. I don't know the reason for sure but I really don't have anything to rave about. I thought this book was only okay.

So what made me think that it was only okay? I didn't connect with these characters at all. I felt no sympathy for Hannah or Clay. To me it seemed like most of the problems Hannah had were brought on by herself. Maybe inadvertently but she was definitely partly to blame.
Clay's feeling for Hannah were not that believable to me. How can a boy like a girl for so long and not act on it? I know it happens but there were times when Clay had a perfect opportunity. He even knew that she liked him!

Oh well...I don't want to rant. The book wasn't all bad. The concept of the story was great. I just couldn't get past the characters.

3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by PSW Shop